Can Dogs Eat Banana? When it is or isn’t an Emergency

Yes, dogs can eat bananas. They are safe for most dogs as long as it’s consumed in moderation. Bananas don’t contain anything that’s considered toxic to dogs but does have a decently-high sugar content.

How much banana can dogs eat?

This will depend on a number of factors such as the size and age of your dog. As a general rule of thumb, a large adult dog could eat one half of a banana per day without facing any major repercussions. Smaller dogs shouldn’t be fed more than two or three small pieces of banana slices per day. Just make sure that human foods like bananas aren’t accounting for more than 10% of a dog’s food intake.

What happens if a dog eats too much banana?

The dog’s stomach may go bananas if they eat more than their stomach can handle. The risk is low but it’s possible for dogs to suffer from a mild stomach upset if they ate too many pieces of banana. The dog may show signs of constipation like straining whenever he or she tries to poop.

Can dogs eat banana peels?

They can but it’s not considered safe for dogs to eat banana peels. The peels aren’t toxic but some dogs may find them hard to digest, especially if the dog swallowed a whole banana peel without chewing it into smaller pieces. Smaller dogs, in particular, are at risk of choking or suffering from intestinal blockage if they end up swallowing a large banana peel. Make sure the banana peels are safely discarded whenever you let your dog eat a few pieces of banana.

What about unripe green bananas?

Green bananas aren’t toxic to dogs but may pose a larger health risk. Green bananas are very rich in starch. Dogs that are a fed a high-starch diet are at much bigger risk of developing serious health disorders like canine bloat. Keep green, unripe bananas out of your dog’s reach!

Disclaimer: The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.


  • Layla Smith | 04/03/2023

    My 30 pound dog managed to swallow a whole banana peel without chewing it. I called the vet to see if my dog needed an emergency visit. They didn’t seem too concerned but did request for me to bring her in so they can induce vomiting. I told them I couldn’t travel to the clinic until my roommate came home.

    They told me to try induce vomiting by using peroxide. I gave the amount based on their guidance but my dog wouldn’t vomit any pieces of the banana peel. I know it’s not toxic but I am really concerned about blockage problems. What other signs should I be looking out for?

  • Woof Woof | 04/03/2023

    I was training my puppy early in the morning. She suddenly went through the trash can and swallowed a whole piece of rotten banana peel 🙁 It has been more than eight hours since. I couldn’t get the dog to vomit out the peel. He remains quite energetic and is passing feces fine. How concerned should I be about my dog swallowing a banana peel, especially when it’s rotten?

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code