Be Careful When You Let Dogs Eat Beet Greens or Beet Leaves

It should be okay for dogs to eat beet greens or beet leaves unless they are eating a large amount of raw leaves. The reason dog owners need to be cautious about letting their dogs eat beet greens is due to the presence of oxalic acid.

Many leafy greens, including kale and spinach, contain oxalic acid. It’s a naturally-occurring compound that can be harmful for dogs in large amounts. Ingesting oxalic acid can deplete the amount of important nutrients in the dog’s body.

In serious cases, oxalates poisoning can lead to many symptoms including vomiting, tremors, and kidney failure. This, however, doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be feeding your dog any beet greens. The amount of oxalic acid in the beet leaves can be reduced through cooking.

Blanching the beet greens in boiling water for a few minutes, for example, should help leach some of the oxalic acid found in the vegetable. Make sure to take this step before you let your dog eat a small amount of beet greens.

Aside from beet greens, you should also be wary of other human foods that may contain substances which aren’t healthy for pets.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.

Leave a Reply