Don’t Let Your Dog Eat Broad Beans

Broad Bean

Not all beans are safe for dogs to eat. The broad bean is one such example because it contains a compound called phytohemagglutinin (PHA), which could be harmful to dogs when ingested in large amounts. The relatively large size of broad beans also makes it difficult to neutralize the PHA compound when the beans are cooked.

One or two of these broad beans is unlikely to make your dog sick but anything more might cause gastrointestinal distress in dogs. Your pooch might start to symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, and a loss of appetite. The next time you cook broad beans for yourself, make sure the pods are safely discarded. Dogs that accidentally eat the broad bean pods may again suffer from digestive issues due to the pods being difficult to digest.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *