What to Do When Your Dog Ate Cardboard

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

First, don’t freak out. It will only stress out your dog further if you act restless around him. Plain cardboard is not toxic to dogs. It may, however, cause some digestive issues since dogs aren’t able to digest paper-based materials.

The only major concern would be if your dog swallowed a large piece of cardboard. The cardboard may get lodged somewhere along the digestive tract and lead to serious problems like intestinal blockage. This might happen an hour or two after the dog ate the cardboard.

Watch over your dog carefully for the next day or two. If the dog only ate a small amount of cardboard then it will most likely pass through the dog’s digestive tract. Anything larger, however, may lead to symptoms like diarrhea, constipation, and loss of appetite. A call to the vet could be necessary if your dog isn’t acting like his usual self.

Comments

Leave a Reply