Dogs Must Not Eat Chives As They Are Toxic

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Just like garlic and onion which are under the same allium family, chives are considered toxic to dogs. This applies to all parts of the plant. The reason it is toxic to dogs is due to the presence of compounds called organosulfoxides. These compounds will react with and damage the red blood cells once they make it into the bloodstream.

Dogs that eat too many chives are at risk of suffering from serious health conditions like anemia (lack of healthy red blood cells in the body). Certain dog breeds, such as the Akita and Shiba Inu, are known to be more sensitive to the toxic compounds found in chives.

Signs of chive poisoning can be delayed so please be sure to watch over your dog carefully for several days if the dog accidentally ate some chives. A tiny amount is likely to be okay but anything more may require a trip to the vet.

Comments

Leave a Reply