What to Do if Your Dog Ate Chocolate Cake

Chocolate Cake

Did your dog eat some chocolate cake? The first step is to check how much cake he ate. If it was a tiny amount then things might turn out okay but anything more should have you call the vet. As you may already know, the chocolate used for the cake is toxic to dogs due to a chemical called theobromine.

You might be tempted to help induce vomiting by using home remedies like diluted hydrogen peroxide but we would recommend against it unless your vet explicitly tells you to try such attempts. When you call the vet, they will most likely ask questions such as the type of chocolate cake and the amount eaten, the weight of your dog, and how long it has been since your dog ate the chocolate cake.

If the vet deems the situation to not be serious then they may ask you to observe the dog carefully for the next few days. The dog might only need to be taken to the vet if he starts to show concerning symptoms. During this time, it’s important that you stay calm so that the dog doesn’t become stressed. There are home remedies you could potentially try for dogs that eat chocolate cake although it isn’t recommended that you try unless the vet gives you the go ahead.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.

1 Comment

  1. Shane Hebert July 30, 2021 at 5:37 am

    my 85lbs pit ate box of milk duds. Will he be alright or what should I do?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.