What to Do if Your Dog Ate Chocolate Chip Cookies

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Was your dog being mischievous and ended up eating a chocolate chip cookie? Yes, chocolate is toxic to dogs so it’s important you react quickly to not put your dog’s health at further risk.

What happens if a dog eats chocolate chip cookie?

Chocolate is toxic to dogs but that doesn’t mean all dogs are under immediate danger after taking a bite of the chocolate chip cookie. The severity of the consequence will depend on a number of factors such as the amount of chocolate chip cookie the dog ate and the dog’s weight. For example, if it was a healthy adult dog and he only ate one cookie, the likelihood of danger is not high.

You may, however, want to watch over the dog for the next few days and make sure he isn’t showing any concerning reactions. The reason for this is due to the side effects of chocolate toxicity not always being immediate. It may take anywhere from six to twelve hours until your dog starts to show any symptoms after eating chocolate chip cookies.

If your dog ate more than a cookie such as a whole bag, a trip to the emergency vet could be necessary. When dogs consume too much chocolate, a number of bad things can happen. Chocolate poisoning, for example, may cause a number of clinical signs including vomiting and restlessness. In severe cases, it may cause symptoms like seizure. Call the doubt if ever in doubt. Dogs are also good at hiding their sickness. This is a situation when it’s best to be safe than sorry.

What should you do if your dog ate a chocolate chip cookie?

As an alternative to going to the vet, you could also call the pet poison hotline for medical advice. If you do take the dog to the vet, certain treatments may be administered to ensure the safety of your pet. If the consumption was identified quickly enough (such as within two hours), some vets may decide to give the dog some activated charcoal to induce vomiting. Others may just request to have your dog monitored if the amount of chocolate chip cookies consumed is relatively small.

There are also home remedies for chocolate consumption you could try but we would recommend only doing so under a vet’s instruction. Some remedies, such as giving your dog hydrogen peroxide, can make the situation a whole lot worse if it isn’t appropriate for the situation or isn’t done correctly.

Please note that these rules don’t just apply to chocolate chip cookies. You should, for example, also avoid letting your dog eat sugar cookies and oreo cookies. You can find out more about what human food is or isn’t safe for dogs by visiting our human foods for dog database.

Comments

Leave a Reply