Can Dogs Eat Chow Mein Noodles? When it is or isn’t an Emergency

The consequences of a dog eating chow mein could be anywhere from mild to serious depending on the amount of noodles the dog ate. Chow mein is dangerous to dogs for a number of reasons.

First, most chow mein recipes will utilize ingredients that are toxic to dogs with the main culprits being onion, garlic, and spring onion.

Second, chow mein is likely to be heavy in ingredients like salt, pepper, and oil, all of which a dog’s stomach isn’t designed to easily handle. You may notice your dog drinking a lot of water after they eat some chow mein noodles. The salt in the dish can cause dehydration and the resulting bout of fast drinking may cause dogs to develop conditions like bloat.

If your dog accidentally eats chow mein then our first suggested step would be to call the vet, especially if the dog ate a large amount. This isn’t applicable for every situation but it might be appropriate to induce vomiting if not a lot of time has passed since your dog ate the noodles.

If your dog only ate a tiny amount of chow mein then the veterinarian might suggest to watch your dog carefully for the next few days. The tiny amount might just cause some mild stomach upsets so a trip to the vet might not be absolutely necessary. Chow mein isn’t the only cooked dish that dogs shouldn’t eat. Check out our food database to find out what else is or isn’t safe.

Disclaimer: The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code