Dog Ate Coffee Beans – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Call the vet or pet poison hotline as soon as you can if your dog ate some coffee beans. The health risk of coffee beans will depend on a number of factors such as the amount of coffee beans the dog ingested.

What happens if a dog eats coffee beans

Dogs may suffer from caffeine toxicity after ingesting some coffee beans. Caffeine will have the same effects on dogs as it does on humans. It’s possible for dogs to become hyperactive after eating some coffee beans. The dog’s heart rate might increase. They may act all jittery and become restless.

In the worst case scenario, the rising of the blood pressure may result in abnormalities like cardiac arrhythmia. Symptoms can start to appear as early as thirty minutes after the dog ingested the coffee beans.

A single coffee bean may contain around 6 milligrams of caffeine. For dogs, 140 milligrams of caffeine per kg of body weight is considered toxic. This means it may take at least 1 ounce of caffeine for caffeine toxicity to kick in for small-sized dogs like pugs and poodles.

What to do if your dog ate coffee beans

Based on the above calculations, a dog might be end up being okay if they only ate a single coffee bean. That said, you should still call the vet for advice given the dangers that caffeine can impose on a dog’s health.

In the meantime, keep a close watch of your dog’s behavior. Make sure they have access to clean drinking water. It might be necessary to induce vomiting if it’s been less than two hours since the dog ingested the coffee bean. This, however, should only be done under a vet’s recommendation.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code