Dark Chocolate is a Huge No for Dogs

Under no circumstances should your dog be allowed to eat dark chocolate, even if it’s a small amount. Chocolate is toxic to dogs due to a chemical called theobromine. Dogs that ingest a certain amount of chocolate will most likely suffer from painful symptoms including vomiting and excessive panting. This may progress to something worse if the dog ate a large amount.

Dark chocolate tends to have a higher concentration of theobromine than regular or milk chocolate. A tiny amount of dark chocolate might not end up being fatal but the risk of developing certain symptoms is still high.

If your dog accidentally ate some dark chocolate, we would strongly advise calling your vet straight away. Treatment will vary depending on the amount ingested. Some dogs that eat dark chocolate may require treatment using fluids and IV drugs. Others may require drugs to force vomiting (if the dog is treated early enough). This isn’t a situation for home remedies. Please seek professional help to not put your dog in further danger.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.
Chocolate Poisoning

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.