Dog Ate a Disposable Face Mask – What to Do Next
It’s very important for dog owners to keep disposable face masks out of their pet’s reach. Used face masks should also be disposed of properly. We strongly recommend calling an emergency vet if your dog swallowed a face mask. Here are the reasons why.
What happens when a dog eats a face mask
The biggest threat comes with intestinal blockage. Dogs can’t digest the materials used to make a face mask. The consequences might not always be immediate but a dog that swallows a face mask may start to show symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea. A lack of appetite may also become evident. Your dog might even refuse his favorite treats.
If your dog is super lucky, he may have chewed and torn the face mask into tiny pieces. These pieces may be small enough to pass through the dog’s intestinal tract with little problem. This, however, isn’t a situation when you want to play ‘what-if’. It’s necessary to take your dog to the vet as soon as possible before the face mask causes further distress in the dog’s gastrointestinal tract.
Dog acting normal after eating face mask
Even if the dog acts normal, you shouldn’t assume the dog is fine after he swallows a face mask. Please keep in mind that it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days before your dog starts showing any sort of distress. If the face mask does cause blockage in the dog’s gastrointestinal tract, it may not always happen earlier on. It might, for example, happen in the small intestines.
What to do if your dog ate a face mask
Don’t try any home remedies without professional guidance. There are ways to induce vomiting in dogs, such as using 3% hydrogen peroxide, but that may end up causing more harm than good, especially if a dog swallowed a whole face mask. Call the veterinary clinic and follow their guidance until you are able to take your dog to the clinic for diagnosis.