Why Dogs Shouldn’t Eat Wild Mushrooms in the Yard

Dog owners are playing with fire if they allow their dogs to eat any wild mushrooms that appear in the yard. Mushrooms and their level of toxicity are hard to identify. Not all wild mushrooms are dangerous but it’s always best to assume that any mushroom you or your dog come across in the yard is poisonous.

Mushroom poisoning for dogs is quite serious. The severity can range from anywhere between mild to fatal. Certain types of wild mushrooms may only cause a gastrointestinal upset, while others may be fatal as a result of causing health issues like liver failure.

The death cap mushroom (Amanita phalloides) is one example. They can look fairly harmless but a few nibbles of this deadly mushroom is likely to be fatal to dogs (and even humans as well).

Dog owners should take the appropriate steps to prevent wild mushrooms from growing in the yard. This can be done in a number of ways, such as making sure you aren’t over-watering the yard and reducing the amount of shade.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.

Leave a Reply