Why Dogs Should’t Eat Peppermint Candy
No, your dogs should not eat peppermint candy. These sweets contain ingredients that can be toxic to pets, especially if they are ingested in large amounts. A lot of peppermint candies and similar products like candy canes include artificial sweeteners like xylitol, which are known to be bad for dogs.
Xylitol in peppermint candies can make your dog sick by causing health issues like hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels). Small amounts of peppermint candies could cause serious harm so we would strongly recommend calling the emergency vet if you suspect that your dog has eaten some peppermint candies.
Aside from contain ingredients that are potentially toxic to dogs, peppermint candies may also disrupt a dog’s stomach by obstructing the intestinal tract. Make sure peppermint candies are never within a dog’s reach.
Peppermint candies aren’t the only “human” foods that pet owners need to be wary of. You should also keep other candies, such as starbursts, well out of your dog’s reach. Check out our human food database to find out what is safe for dogs to eat.