Don’t Let Your Dogs Eat Pickled Beets

Disclaimer: The content on is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Regular beets are safe for dogs to eat in moderation but the same doesn’t apply to pickled beets. The main reason is due to pickled beets being made in salty brines. The high salt content can be quite dangerous for dogs, especially if they ingest a large amount of it.

Dogs should never consume too much salt in their daily diet. Those that do are at risk of developing serious health conditions like pancreatitis. Salt poisoning is also a thing with dogs. They may exhibit symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting if they eat too many pieces of pickled beets.

If your dog accidentally ate a tiny piece of pickled beets then it should turn out okay. Just monitor your dog closely for any concerning health signs. If your dog ate a decent amount of pickled beets then a call to the vet might be necessary for determining the appropriate next steps.

Want to know what else aside from pickled beets isn’t safe for dogs to eat? Our list has you covered. We checked over 100 human foods and listed what is and isn’t safe for dogs to eat. Be sure to have this bookmarked!


Leave a Reply