Never Let Your Dog Eat Raisins & Sultanas

This applies to grapes and all grape-based products. Never let your dog eat raisins and sultanas as they are toxic to pets. The toxic mechanism within grapes and raisins isn’t exactly known just yet but what we do know currently is that the consumption of these products can lead to serious health consequences for dogs.

How many raisins will hurt a dog?

It will depend on factors like the dog’s body weight. One raisin or sultana, however, may be enough to make dog, especially puppies and those of smaller breed, really sick so it’s vital that these grape-based products are never within a dog’s reach.

What happens when a dog eats a raisin?

One dangerous health consequence of eating raisins and sultanas is kidney failure. Dogs that suffer from kidney failures will show a number of concerning symptoms such as vomiting, loss of balance, and a significant loss in appetite. We would call the emergency vet immediately as soon as you suspect that your dog has eaten some raisins or sultanas.

How soon after eating raisins will a dog get sick?

Symptoms can start to show a few hours after a dog ate some raisins. You should never assume your dog is okay as animals, in general, are known for “hiding” their sickness when they become vulnerable. For reference, the lowest toxic dose of raisins in confirmed cases has been about 3 grams per kg. An average raisin weighs around 0.5 grams so we could assume a toxic dog of 6 raisins per kg.

You can find out what human foods are unsafe for dogs to eat by visiting our human foods list.

Book an online vet appointment if your dog has an emergency but your local vet isn't available. Vetster is available 24/7 for video chat appointments.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.

Leave a Reply