Is it Safe for Dogs to Eat Seaweed?

No, you should avoid feeding your dog seaweed. This applies to wild seaweed found on the beach and dry seaweed snacks you buy from stores. Let’s first start off with seaweed found on the beach. Wild seaweed can potentially be fatal to dogs because of the way it expands after it absorbs water. Once it enters the dog’s digestive system, there’s a risk of the wild seaweed causing blockage along the gastrointestinal tract. If you suspect that your dog has eaten some wild seaweed then it’s strongly recommended that you take him to the vet for examination.

Seaweed snacks you buy from stores don’t have the same issue of expanding and causing blockage in the dog’s body. They may, however, contain ingredients or additives that are either toxic to pets or dangerous when consumed in large amounts. Some seaweed snacks, for example, may contain garlic or onion seasoning, which we know are toxic to dogs. Others may contain a lot of sodium, which can cause lead to poisoning if a dog eats too much salt.

Despite the nutritional benefits that come with seaweed, we would suggest to keep it off limits to your dogs. The only exception would be if you are 100% certain that the processed seaweed snack doesn’t contain any ingredients that could be of harm to dogs. In that case, the occasional seaweed treat wouldn’t hurt.

Seaweed isn’t the only “human food” which shouldn’t be given to dogs. Here is an extensive list of other human foods that pet owners should be cautious of in front of pets.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.
Seaweed

Latest Articles

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.