Avoid Letting Your Dog Eat Sugar Cookies
Generally speaking, regular sugar cookies aren’t toxic to dogs but that doesn’t mean you should allow your dog to eat them. There are certain aspects of sugar cookies that simply isn’t healthy for dogs. The severity will depend on the ingredients used.
A basic sugar cookie may leverage ingredients such as sugar, flour, butter, eggs, baking powder, and vanilla extract. None of these ingredients offer much nutritional value. Sugar cookies are calorie fillers that may take away your dog’s urge to eat healthy dog food.
It also doesn’t bode well for your dog’s long-term health if they are allowed to eat too many sugar cookies. A high fat diet can lead to serious health issues like pancreatitis so avoid letting your dog eat these cookies when possible.
Dog owners need to also keep in mind that some sugar cookie products may come with ingredients that are considered toxic to dogs. The prime culprit is xylitol, an artificial sweetener used as a sugar substitute in desserts and baked goods such as cakes and biscuits.
What happens if your dog eats a sugar cookie? Well, this doesn’t necessarily mean you need to call the emergency vet. The severity will depend on a number of factors such as the amount of cookies the dog ate and the size of the dog. It might just be a case of watching over your dog carefully over the next few days as long as he didn’t consume anything that’s considered toxic to pets. Your dog may end up with a bit of loose stools but that might be the extent of it.