What to Do if Your Dog Ate Twizzlers Licorice

Twizzlers

Twizzlers are popular licorice snacks that shouldn’t be fed to dogs, even if it is a small amount. They aren’t considered safe for dogs and may cause health problems if a dog was to eat too many of the red licorice. We would recommend calling the vet if your dog starts to show any concerning symptoms although these signs may not come until a few hours after the dog at the Twizzlers.

What are the ingredients in Twizzler?

You can determine how unsafe food products are for dogs by looking at the ingredients list. A typical Twizzler would include ingredients such as corn syrup, wheat flour, sugar, cornstarch, and artificial coloring. None of these ingredients are considered toxic to dogs so it’s unlikely for a dog to fall sick after eating a tiny amount of it but health problems can occur as the consumed amount gets larger.

What happens if a dog eats Twizzler licorice?

Twizzler contains a decent amount of sugar and while sugar isn’t toxic to dogs, a large amount could cause upsets in the dog’s digestive tract, just like it could for us humans. Your dog may start to show symptoms like diarrhea and stomach upsets if they were to eat a large amount of licorice (relative to the dog’s body size and weight).

The sugar could also contribute to longer-term health problems like dental diseases and weight-gain, especially if you allow the dog to eat such confectionaries on a regular basis. Please note that other brands of licorice may also utilizer sweeteners like xylitol, which is considered toxic to dogs.

What to do if your dog ate Twizzlers

First off, monitor your dog closely and try to find out how many Twizzlers the dog ate. If the dog a large amount (such as a whole pack) then we strongly recommend calling the emergency vet or pet poison hotline. If it was a tiny amount and your dog is acting perfectly normal then you may want to just observe and make sure the dog is always within view for the next day or two.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.