Dogs Should Not Eat Food with Vanilla Extract

Keep your dog away from vanilla extract. It can be harmful to dogs because of its high alcohol content. In the US, at least 35% of the vanilla extract content must consist of ethyl alcohol in order to be classified as vanilla extract.

Dogs that accidentally eat vanilla extract may potentially suffer from alcohol intoxication. Signs of intoxication may include vomiting, excessive panting, and restlessness. For more serious cases, alcohol intoxication may result in organ failures.

The above applies to vanilla extract with alcohol content. Some imitation vanilla products are alcohol-free as they use vegetable glycerin instead of ethyl alcohol. These products aren’t safe for dogs but we would still suggest not feeding them any of it as there is little benefits for a dog to gain.

If your dog accidentally eats some vanilla extract then please contact the emergency vet immediately. Alcohol intoxication is a serious condition that comes with serious consequences for dogs.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.
Vanilla Extract

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.