My Dog Ate an Aloe Plant – What to Do Next

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

The ingestion of aloe plants can make a dog sick. How sick the dog becomes will depend on a number of factors such as the amount and type of aloe plant the dog ingested.

What happens if a dog eats an aloe plant?

The main risk is tied to the toxic compounds the aloe plant contains. This includes compounds like saponin and glycoside. Saponin, for example, is commonly found in many household plants. Once ingested, it can affect the dog’s digestive system and manifest itself into symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting. In more severe cases, dogs that have eaten too much saponin may also suffer from signs like lethargy, muscle twitches, and seizures.

Glycosides are just as dangerous to dogs. The ingestion of glycosides may lead to abnormal cardiovascular signs like an abnormal heart rate. This, however, isn’t to say all dogs that eat aloe plants will suffer from these symptoms. The likelihood of developing some kind of sickness also depends on the amount and parts of the aloe plant the dog ate.

What to do if your dog ate an aloe plant

We wouldn’t take any risks. Call the pet poison hotline or the vet for professional advice. If necessary, the vet will ask you to bring your dog in for further diagnosis. Be prepared to answer questions like the type of aloe plant the dog ate and how long it has been since the plant was ingested.

In the meantime, keep a close watch of the dog as they may develop symptoms not long after eating the aloe plant. Some dogs may get lucky and not be affected if they only ate a tiny piece of the aloe plant. This, however, isn’t something you should assume. Be vigilant and make sure your dog is being watched over for at least a few days.

Comments

Leave a Reply