Geraniums are Poisonous and Toxic to Dogs

Geranium

These beautiful flowers are unfortunately toxic to dogs so they must be kept well away from your dog’s reach. All parts of the geranium including the leaves, stems, and petals are considered to be toxic to dogs. The reason they are toxic is due to the presence of organic compounds like geraniol, which can cause dogs to vomit, lose appetite, and experience depression when ingested.

Geraniums aren’t considered fatal unless a dog eats an excessively large amount in one go. Aside from the amount ingested, the size of the dog will also determine how toxic the plant is. Make sure to warn anyone who is planning to send some flowers your way that geraniums aren’t a safe choice for dog households.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *