Dog Licked Windex Glass / Window Cleaner – What to Do Next

Glass and window cleaning products like Windex can be toxic to dogs when ingested. Here’s what you should do next if your dog accidentally licked some Windex fluid.

What happens when a dog licks Windex?

According to SC Johnson (the manufacturer), Windex primarily consists of water, cleaning agents like ammonium hydroxide, wetting agents like Lauryl dimethyl amine oxide, fragrance and dye. Ingredients like ammonium hydroxide can be toxic to dogs.

How dangerous it is to dogs will depend on a number of factors like the amount of Windex the dog licked. According to an investigation from Snopes, it’s unlikely to be fatal if the product is used in accordance to the label instructions. A mild upset stomach in people and pets may occur if a small amount gets ingested. You may notice symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea not long after a dog licks some Windex fluid.

What to do if your licked Windex

Call the vet for advice, especially if you are unsure of how much Windex the dog licked. The dog could suffer from serious symptoms, especially if they licked a lot of Windex relative to their body weight. In addition to gastrointestinal symptoms, watch out for other concerning signs like drooling and gagging. These symptoms may appear within a few hours of the dog licking the household cleaning product.

In the meantime, it may help to rinse your dog’s mouth with cool water. This is to get rid of any Windex residue that may still be in your dog’s mouth. You may also need to temporarily switch your dog’s diet for a few days as he recovers. Easily-digestible diets like cooked white rice and boiled chicken is recommended for dogs with an unsettled stomach.

Disclaimer: The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a veterinarian when in doubt.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Contact to Listing Owner

Captcha Code