Keep Poisonous Azaleas Away from Your Dog

Azaleas

There are many flowers that are poisonous to dogs and the azalea flower is no exception. All parts of the azalea plant are considered toxic to pets. How toxic the azalea plant is to dogs will depend on the amount ingested and the size of the dog.

For a lot of dogs, eating a few leaves of the azalea plant may cause issues like vomiting and diarrhea. According to Pet Poison Hotline, ingesting an amount of azalea that’s equal to 0.2% of the dog’s body weight may lead to poisoning.

One of the main culprits of the azalea’s toxic effect is grayanotoxin. In addition to vomiting and stomach upsets, the toxins may also disrupt the sodium channels that impact the skeletal and cardiac muscles. Dogs that have eaten any part of the azalea plant should be taken to the vet immediately for an emergency visit.

Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *