Is Snow Salt and Ice Melt Bad for Dogs?

Salt
Disclaimer: The content on MyPetChild.com is for informational purpose only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian when in doubt.

Yes, snow salt is bad for dogs. It’s important that you keep your dog away from the snow salt whenever he is taken out for a walk during winter. Also referred to as ice melt, snow salt usually contains a variety of salt, including sodium chloride and potassium chloride. Dogs that accidentally ingest snow salt may exhibit symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea. Severe cases may lead to tremors and seizures.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested some ice melt then it’s important to call the vet right away. Dogs can also ingest the ice melt from licking their paws so please be sure to wipe your dog’s paws with a damp cloth as soon as you are back home. Dogs with sensitive paws may benefit from wearing dog boots.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *