Dog Ate and Swallowed a Sock – What to Do Next
Dogs will sometimes do silly things and eat non-food objects like socks. It’s important to get your dog looked at as soon as you find out because the swallowing of socks may lead to a life-threatening situation for your pet.
What to do if your dog ate a sock
We would call the vet and seek immediate assistance. Socks may pose a number of problems once they are inside your dog’s body. The first risk is with choking. The sock material may block the dog’s air passage. The dog, as a result, may end up gasping for air and start to swallow excessively.
There’s also a good chance that the sock will cause blockage in the dog’s intestinal tract. If left treated, the blockage can lead to the development of something worse such as bloat. It’s important to have the dog seen by the vet before such problems develop. The vet may request an x-ray to diagnose the situation more accurately.
Making a dog puke after eating a sock
There are several home remedies that may help induce vomiting in dogs. One example being the use of 3% hydrogen peroxide. We, however, wouldn’t recommend taking this step without explicit approval from the vet. For starters, it might not be effective at all to get your dog to puke out the sock. This might have been only effective not long after the dog swallowed a sock. There is also a possibility that you can make the situation worse, especially if the dog ate a large sock (relative to his body size).
Dog acting normal after eating a sock
It’s a good sign but acting normal doesn’t necessarily mean your dog will be fine. Keep in mind that it can take anywhere between a few hours to a few days for concerning signs to appear. It may take a few days for the sock to pass through the dog’s intestinal tract. It could get blocked at any point during this time. You need to watch the dog carefully whenever he poops to see if the sock has passed through.
It’s better to act sooner than later. Please keep in mind that things could get worse for your dog if the sock makes it way to the intestines and gets stuck. In such situations, the only choice might be for the sock to be surgically removed. This procedure can be very expensive.