Dog Pica and Eating Behaviors

Pica refers to a condition that describes dogs that crave and eat non-food items. Some dogs may only eat one type of non-food item while others may eat a variety. Pica can endanger a dog’s health because what the dog consumes might be toxic. The item the dog consumes might also not be digestible.

Dog ate toilet paper

Toilet paper is unlikely to cause a problem unless it’s been with chemicals that are harmful or toxic to dogs.

Dog ate plastic wrapper

Plastic wrappers introduce the risk of choking and obstruction along the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. A visit to the vet is strongly recommended, even if the dog acts normal.

Dog ate human poop

Human poop may be harmful to dogs when ingested, especially if it contained harmful substances like drug and alcohol.

Dog ate glass

Broken glass may cause a number of issues in the dog’s body, such as causing punctures and laceration in the dog’s internal organs.

Dog ate charcoal

Charcoal isn’t considered highly toxic to dogs but may still create plenty of problems in the dog’s body when ingested.

Dog ate a frog or toad

Dogs may show life-threatening signs and symptoms after eating a frog or toad (the poisonous kind).

Dog ate birth control pills

The effects that birth control pills can have on dogs will depend on factors such as the type of contraceptive ingested and the dog’s body weight.

Dog ate tums

Eating Tums could become a health issue for dogs if they were to eat too many of the antacid tablets.

Dog ate crayons

Eating crayons is not a major health threat unless the dog managed to eat a large amount (relative to his body size).

Dog ate chicken poop

Chicken poop may pose a health threat to dogs because it may pass on harmful bacteria and parasites, including giardia and salmonella.

Dog ate garden mulch

Garden mulch can pose a serious health risk to dogs in a number of ways. It could, for example, cause obstruction in the dog’s stomach or intestines.

Dog chewed and ate a pencil

The shards and splinters of a broken pencil could be dangerous to dogs that swallow them.

Dog ate styrofoam

Dogs that eat styrofoam (such as packing peanuts) may suffer from health issues due to the risk of obstruction and choking.

Dog ate a chapstick

Chapsticks can be a potential health threat to dogs. The level of threat will depend on the ingredients used and whether or not the dog swallowed the whole casing.

Dog ate a dryer sheet

Dryer sheets can be dangerous to dogs when ingested. The chemicals, for example, might cause enough irritation to trigger a gastrointestinal upset.

Dog ate a cough drop

Human cough drops can be dangerous to dogs, especially if they use ingredients like xylitol and menthol.

Dog ate an ant trap

Ant traps may result in mild to serious symptoms depending on the amount and type of ant trap the dog ate.

Dog ate a wild mushroom in the grass

The severity of eating wild mushrooms in the grass will vary from mild to life-threatening. It will depend on what type and how many mushrooms the dog ate.

Dog ate a bumblebee

Dogs that have eaten a bumblebee may find themselves in a life-threatening situation depending on where they get stung and whether they are allergic to the bee sting.

Dog eating leaves

A variety of causes may explain dogs that munch on leaves, including sickness and issues with boredom and stress.

Dog ate a condom

Did your silly dog swallow a condom? It could become a problem for your dog’s digestive tract if left untreated.

Dog eats another dog's poop

Does your dog like to eat another dog’s poop? Whether this behavior is normal or something of concern depends on the context and frequency.

Puppy eats own poop

Coprophagia is a behavior that’s more common than most dog owners realize, especially with puppies and young dogs.

Dog ate deer poop

Dogs should be discouraged from eating deer feces as they may pass on infectious bacteria and parasites.

Dog eats cat litter

Some dogs may enjoy eating cat litter because of the interesting scent they discover from the litter box.