Dog Pica and Eating Behaviors

Pica refers to a condition that describes dogs that crave and eat non-food items. Some dogs may only eat one type of non-food item while others may eat a variety. Pica can endanger a dog’s health because what the dog consumes might be toxic. The item the dog consumes might also not be digestible.

Dog ate a fly

The ingestion of houseflies is usually harmless. The main risk is if the dog eats a fly that’s covered with fly killer spray.

Dog ate toy stuffing

The ingestion of toy stuffing may pose a risk to a dog’s health. Complications may occur as a result of issues like choking and intestinal blockage.

Dog ate a stink bug

The ingestion of stink bugs may irritate the dog’s mouth and stomach. Vomiting and diarrhea are common symptoms among dogs that eat stink bugs.

Dog ate vaseline

Vaseline (petroleum jelly) isn’t considered toxic to dogs but may end up causing a lot of irritations in your dog’s stomach.

Dog ate joint roach

A trip to the vet might be necessary for dogs that ingest a joing roach, especially if it’s a big piece.

Dog ate a dead bird

It’s possible for dogs to get sick from eating a dead bird, especially if the dead bird carried an infection like salmonella.

Dog ate toilet paper

Toilet paper is unlikely to cause a problem unless it’s been with chemicals that are harmful or toxic to dogs.

Dog ate plastic wrapper

Plastic wrappers introduce the risk of choking and obstruction along the dog’s gastrointestinal tract. A visit to the vet is strongly recommended, even if the dog acts normal.

Dog ate human poop

Human poop may be harmful to dogs when ingested, especially if it contained harmful substances like drug and alcohol.

Dog ate glass

Broken glass may cause a number of issues in the dog’s body, such as causing punctures and laceration in the dog’s internal organs.

Dog ate charcoal

Charcoal isn’t considered highly toxic to dogs but may still create plenty of problems in the dog’s body when ingested.

Dog ate a frog or toad

Dogs may show life-threatening signs and symptoms after eating a frog or toad (the poisonous kind).

Dog ate birth control pills

The effects that birth control pills can have on dogs will depend on factors such as the type of contraceptive ingested and the dog’s body weight.

Dog ate tums

Eating Tums could become a health issue for dogs if they were to eat too many of the antacid tablets.

Dog ate crayons

Eating crayons is not a major health threat unless the dog managed to eat a large amount (relative to his body size).

Dog ate chicken poop

Chicken poop may pose a health threat to dogs because it may pass on harmful bacteria and parasites, including giardia and salmonella.

Dog ate garden mulch

Garden mulch can pose a serious health risk to dogs in a number of ways. It could, for example, cause obstruction in the dog’s stomach or intestines.

Dog chewed and ate a pencil

The shards and splinters of a broken pencil could be dangerous to dogs that swallow them.

Dog ate styrofoam

Dogs that eat styrofoam (such as packing peanuts) may suffer from health issues due to the risk of obstruction and choking.

Dog ate a chapstick

Chapsticks can be a potential health threat to dogs. The level of threat will depend on the ingredients used and whether or not the dog swallowed the whole casing.

Dog ate a dryer sheet

Dryer sheets can be dangerous to dogs when ingested. The chemicals, for example, might cause enough irritation to trigger a gastrointestinal upset.

Dog ate a cough drop

Human cough drops can be dangerous to dogs, especially if they use ingredients like xylitol and menthol.

Dog ate an ant trap

Ant traps may result in mild to serious symptoms depending on the amount and type of ant trap the dog ate.

Dog ate a wild mushroom in the grass

The severity of eating wild mushrooms in the grass will vary from mild to life-threatening. It will depend on what type and how many mushrooms the dog ate.

Dog ate a bumblebee

Dogs that have eaten a bumblebee may find themselves in a life-threatening situation depending on where they get stung and whether they are allergic to the bee sting.